I run Calibre on a computer at home, but when I travel I turn this off and run Calibre on my notebook. Unfortunately, this means that I also have to keep update the settings and which news feed I follow on both machines. However, it turns out it is rather simple to synchronize these settings across machines via a cloud drive. Below is how you do it on Windows 7 using Dropbox. Since this setup is not specific to a particular users, it can be applied to all of your machines running Calibre.
- Make sure you have a Dropbox account and the Dropbox client up and running.
- In your Dropbox folder (e.g. C:/Users/Joe/Dropbox/), create the following subdirectory mirror/AppData/Roaming/calibre/.
- [Optional] If you already have Calibre setup locally, you may wanna copy your current Calibre setting in C:/Users/Joe/AppData/Roaming/calibre/ to this subdirectory.
- Create a Windows shortcut of calibre.exe (e.g. type 'calibre' in the Start menu box), but drag'n'drop it to the desktop.
- Right-click on the calibre shortcut icon and select Properties...
- Only if 'Start in' is empty, then copy the value in 'Target' to 'Start in' and drop the last part contain 'calibre.exe', e.g. afterward is should be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\".
- In 'Target' paste the following as is (including the double quotes) as one line of text:
cmd.exe /C "set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=%USERPROFILE%\Dropbox\private\mirror\AppData\Roaming\calibre && calibre.exe"
- [Optional] To have Calibre start in tray, add '--start-in-tray' after calibre.exe in Step 7, cf. Calibre User Manual.
- [Optional] Set 'Run' to 'Minimized'.
- [Optional] In the 'General' tab, rename the program to 'Calibre (mirrored)'.
- [Optional] Click 'Change icon' and set the icon back to calibre.exe, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe" (the same as the original value of Target).
- Click OK.